Wat Chalong, Phuket
The Wat Chalong (Phuket)
Wat Chalong, built at the beginning of the 19th century, is the most visited temple on the island of Phuket.
No one knows exactly when this temple was built. However, many believe that it was built during the reign of King Rama II (1809-1842).
The real name, by royal decree, of this temple is "Wat Chaitararam" but few people use it and many are unaware of it.
The most recent construction is a rather peculiar 61-metre high chedi, which houses a fragment of Buddha bone.
This fragment was brought back from Sri Lanka in 1999 and was installed in the Chedi in September 2002 during a ceremony presided over by Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, representing the King.
The Chedi (61 metres high), a rather particular architecture dating back to the 2000s
The interior walls and ceilings are decorated with superb frescoes illustrating Buddha's life, as well as many
gilded statues and meticulously carved doors.
Built on three floors, it is easy to climb up to the terrace on the top floor to admire a beautiful view of the temple gardens.
A few more steps will take you to the window where the fragment of Buddha's bone can be admired, but don't expect a big surprise.